Planning Application

If you plan to carry out building works, planning permission may be needed. You can find out if you require planning permission by contacting your local council.

You may need planning permission if you are:

  • Intending to build something new;
  • Increasing the footprint of an existing building i.e. an extension;
  • Changing the current use of the building;
  • Working in a conservation area;
  • Doing work to a listed building.

Find out if your home or plot of land is in a conservation area by contacting your local Planning Authority.

Find out if your building is listed by checking Historic Scotland's listed building search or by contacting your local Planning Authority.